"For skillful and godly Wisdom is better than rubies or pearls,
and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared with it." Proverbs 8:11 Amplified

Friday, June 10, 2011

Used Books and Writing Prompts

The library is my friend. Not only do I check out books from their vast shelves but I also check out the shelves with books to purchase. Our local Friends of the Library has a continuously changing array of donated books for sale and they are cheap. I appreciate cheap when on a limited budget.

This week I purchased several books, the title of one of the books is: Writing Short Stories for Young People.

I pick up any books I find on the subject of writing, I'm building my personal writing reference library. I was also lucky enough to find a copy of Chicken Soup for the Writer’s Soul, which made me very happy.

When I opened the book on writing short stories I found a card in the front of the book. It was a birthday card with a hand written note to Polly. I chuckled; my mom’s nickname is Polly.


I think God has a wonderful sense of humor. He knew I would be picking up this book and that I would appreciate a card addressed to Polly.

Have you found notes, shopping lists, sales slips or the like in books? I image we all have. Have you ever wondered about the story behind those little treasures?

What tales we writers could weave about those snippets from someone’s life.

Instead of throwing out these random pieces of paper, what about creating a file folder labeled story ideas. Who knows what could develop.

When you are being interviewed about your published book and they ask, “How did you come up with the idea for this story?” You can smile and answer, “I got the idea from a sales slip.” Watch for the puzzled look on your interviewee's  face.

3 comments:

diane homm said...

How fun! The library is a friend of mine,too. Our library has a huge book sale during our county fair. People donate books all year and by the time they have the sale there are tables and tables filled with books! It is great. Every year I tell myself I cannot buy any books...every year I go and buy more books. :)

Diane Marie Shaw said...

Diane, I can't turn away from books. So many books, so little time.

DenaNetherton said...

Diane, years ago my mother-in-law gave me a used collection of books called, My Bookhouse. I'd grown up with those books and was delighted to have my own copy. On the inside book cover was an inscription: to Donny, from your loving parents, December 1929. I wondered if that family gave their last expensive gift that December, since that was when the stock market crashed,