"For skillful and godly Wisdom is better than rubies or pearls,
and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared with it." Proverbs 8:11 Amplified

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Amazing People

“Hi, how are you?”

Who doesn’t say that dozens of times in a day. It is said to strangers and to people we see frequently. I want to talk about the ones we see frequently. What do we know about them?

I was at church last night and was talking with a man I have known on a casual greeting basis for over five years. He was talking with several of us and told us how God has used him because he reads and studies his bible and knows the Word of God. I confess that I didn’t see him he as the “type” of person who would be used in the way God has used him. I was especially surprised when he said that he was asked to teach a youth group for a period of time, and if he hadn’t moved, would probably have been put in leadership over that ministry. I believe he was speaking the truth because he is a man of integrity, but I just could not picture him in that role. There is more to this man than meets the eye.

What is really sad is when we have become friends with a person and we think we know them. We talk on the phone with them, eat lunch with them and then find out at their memorial service that we knew nothing about them but very superficial things.

Do we know the people we labor alongside, at work, at church, in ministry? I know we really do care about getting to know people but it takes time, and how many of us are willing to take the time to ask and listen?

Maybe a better question when we greet people should be, “Hi, Who are you?”

3 comments:

Robbie Iobst said...

This is a really thoughtful post Diane. Makes me think. I don't wanna miss out knowing the people God wants me to know...really know. Hmmm...

Diane Marie Shaw said...

I am headed on a trip where I will be around family and strangers for 9 days. I wonder how well I will do with mining out the riches in others.

Unknown said...

Can't wait to read the posts on the trip! Travel blessings!